Atlanta VA Health Care System
Welcome to our website describing the research program at the Atlanta VA Medical Center located in Decatur, Georgia.
The mission of our research program is composed of four major areas:
- To further integrate research activities into healthcare delivery and enhance the awareness of our patients, providers, and partners to the benefits of VA biomedical research programs.
- To support the research and clinical missions of the VA by facilitating the recruitment and retention of the best clinician and non-clinician scientists to conduct state-of-the-art research resulting in the highest quality care for diseases afflicting veterans.
- To enhance excellence in physician training with multidisciplinary research programs.
- To enhance the clinical care mission by fostering research that investigates novel approaches to improve the delivery of care at the Atlanta VAMC.
To accomplish this mission, we host research in a broad spectrum of medical fields that foster basic and clinical research that directly enhances veteran health care by treating and curing disease, translating novel interventions to the clinic and creating an environment where healthcare encounters are transformed into research opportunities. This goal will be accomplished by supporting a wide array of research projects and activities and by providing the highest quality resources to the Atlanta VA Research community.
The Atlanta VA Medical Center research program is closely affiliated with Emory University and benefits from partnerships with other Atlanta area institutions including Morehouse School of Medicine, the Georgia Institute of Technology, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The close proximity of these institutions and our shared interests in developing the highest quality research programs provides an outstanding environment for basic and clinical research programs. The Atlanta VA Medical Center also partners with the Atlanta Clinical & Translational Science Institute (ACTSI) as a hospital-based clinical interaction site. The ACTSI is focused on accelerating the translation of laboratory discoveries into healthcare innovations for patients by supporting Atlanta VA Medical Center, Emory University, Morehouse School of Medicine, Georgia Institute of Technology, and Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta investigators. The ACTSI is one of a national consortium funded through the National Institutes of Health that shares a common vision to translate laboratory discoveries into treatments for patients, engage communities in clinical research efforts, and train the next generation of clinical investigators
Please visit the links at the top this page to learn more about our research programs, the investigators who conduct studies at the Atlanta VA Medical Center and links to program descriptions from the VA Office of Research and Development. Research investigators can find links to information related to starting research programs at the Atlanta VA.
Learn about participating in VA Research.
Thank you for your interest in research at the Atlanta VA! Please let us know if you require additional information.
- Atlanta VAMC
Hours of Operation
- Monday - Friday 8:00am - 4:30pm